UPDATED JANUARY 2016
This blog was created to document and provide a counter-balance to Robert Sungenis' problematic views and history related to the Jewish people, beginning in September 2006 and up to the present. The following topical directory is available to help readers more easily navigate the articles on this blog. "Labels" are also available on the right-hand side of the blog in order to locate articles that touch on various topics.
Bob Sungenis has gone to great lengths to portray his conflict with Bishop Rhoades and other Catholics as stemming from his efforts to defend the purity of Catholic doctrine in regard to the Jewish people. His claim is completely and demonstrably false. While the most recent articles below deal with doctrinal issues, we have presented them in order to illustrate that Bob's accusations of "heresy" against his critics (including his own bishop) have been and continue to be a canard used by Bob to take the focus off the actual reason he's gotten into so much hot water with his bishop and so many others: his anti-Jewish bigotry. This anti-Jewish bigotry was publicly expressed for over a decade on issues that have nothing to do with theology -- ranging from historical revisionism to conspiracy theories about Jews. However, even in regard to doctrinal issues and scriptural interpretations involving Jews, Bob has made numerous errors because his theology is tainted by his prejudice against them (for example, see here and here). He has repeatedly demonstrated that if Jews are involved, he is unable to maintain any semblance of fairness and objectivity.
Robert Sungenis and the U.S. Catholic Catechism for Adults
Was Sungenis the first and/or only one to notice a problematic sentence on page 131 of the USCCA and did he single-handedly cause the U.S. bishops to change it, as he publicly claims? Did the U.S. bishops "vindicate" Sungenis's personal views on "supersessionism," as he also publicly claims? Was the conspiracy theory he publicly floated about the U.S. bishops true? What role did Sungenis actually play in regard to the change to the problematic sentence on page 131 of the USCCA? Is he uniquely qualified to handle Jewish issues as he just recently claimed in December 2015? These questions and more are answered.
Sungenis's Continued Misuse of "Supersessionism"
Sungenis unfortunately continues to treat the term "Supersessionism" as if it is magisterial. It is not of Catholic origin and appears in no magisterial texts. It's a loaded term that can and does carry very different connotations, implications and nuances. Some versions of supersessionism are not in accord with Catholic teaching. Sungenis himself holds to a version of "supersessionism" that then Cardinal Dulles aptly characterized as "crude" and that we have characterized as "extreme." Click here and here (scroll down to "Supersessionism, Redux") for more in-depth discussion of Sungenis's problems as they pertain to supersessionism.
Is Sungenis Right About a Future Special Conversion of the Jewish People to Christ?
Short answer? No. In fact, contrary to Sungenis, there is widespread evidence from the Church Fathers, the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Scripture, various saints, Popes and renowned scholars that there will be a future, special conversion of the Jewish people to Christ. Click here, here and here for even more evidence that Sungenis is incorrect.
Sungenis on Romans 11: Theological Bias in Biblical Exegesis
David Palm discusses several of Sungenis's errors regarding Romans 11 and the Jewish people.
Why Sungenis is Wrong to Insist on Saying the Old Covenant is "Revoked"
Sungenis continues to insist on using a word in relation to the Old Covenant that the magisterium has never used: revoked. Take a look the facts and reasons why avoiding this term makes sense. You can read more here as well.
Why Sungenis is Wrong to Consider the New Covenant a Punishment of the Jewish People
Watch on as David Palm exposes Sungenis's erroneous "theology of punishment" at the Catholic Answers Forum. Click here and here for two additional posts by Palm dealing with Sungenis's fundamental error about the establishment of the New Covenant.
Why Sungenis is Wrong to Deny the Inherent Jewishness of the Catholic Church
David Palm explains how Sungenis's anti-Jewish bias leads him to flirt with multiple heresies.
Is Sungenis Right About the Identity of the "Olive Tree" and "Root" in Romans 11?
Sungenis angrily insists that the "root" of Romans 11 is Christ alone. Unfortunately, it seems that his anti-Jewish inclinations are influencing his theology again. There's a considerable number of Catholic witnesses who disagree with him, including the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Church Fathers, renowned Scripture scholars and even Pope Benedict XVI. And it doesn't help that he was caught cropping quotes to make Church Fathers appear to say the opposite of what they actually said.
Sungenis's Theology of Prejudice Against the Jewish People
Several examples are presented that demonstrate how Sungenis's animosity toward the Jewish people has adversely colored his theology: The Conversion of the Jews, The Antichrist as a Jew, The Good Friday "Demand", Pope Benedict XVI on the Jews, and more.
All in the Family: Christians, Jews and God
In Lay Witness magazine, Michael Forrest and David Palm take an in-depth look at what the Church has taught about our relationship with the Jewish people, and the Jewish people's continuing relationship with God. In particular, they critique two opposing errors common in certain circles: the dual covenant theory and extreme supersessionism. (Sungenis falls in the latter camp).
Two Narratives and 15 False Claims About Bishop Rhoades
Sungenis and his friend Rick DeLano have labored to create a false narrative about what happened between Sungenis and Bishop Rhoades and why. In the process, they have spread many false claims about His Excellency, 15 of which are exposed and corrected in this piece.
Sungenis Privately Admits He No Longer Believes Bishop Rhoades is Teaching Heresy on the Old Covenant But Continues to Publicly Accuse Him of It Regardless
Remarkably, Bob Sungenis privately admitted to David Palm and Michael Forrest that he no longer believes Bishop Rhoades holds to a heresy in regard to the Old Covenant (Bob now thinks the real problem was some other "evil man" who was the "mastermind behind the whole thing")...but that hasn't stopped him from continuing to publicly make the slanderous charge against His Excellency, regardless.
Sungenis Comes Out at the Catholic Answers Forums...to Debate David Palm
A close supporter and member of Sungenis's inner circle came out at the CAF anonymously to take a dishonest shot at David Palm and Michael Forrest's article in Lay Witness, only to be confronted and corrected by David. Suddenly, Bob did something he rarely does: he made an extended, online appearance at the CAF himself. See how Bob was repeatedly challenged by David to defend his charges and how he repeatedly failed to do so...and much more. The entire debate/thread at the CAF is very enlightening.
Michael Forrest Answers Sungenis's Latest "Response" on the "Bishop Rhoades Affair"
Some of Bob's latest errors and dishonesty in his 34-page response to Michael Forrest regarding his interactions with Bishop Rhoades are exposed.
Answering Sungenis on the Conversion of the Jews...Again
Bob's latest fundamentalist-style attempt to deny this traditional, positive Church teaching about the Jewish people is answered...again.
Contra Sungenis on Elijah and the Conversion of the Jews
Bob has made accusations of supposed "blunders" and "exegetical duplicity" on the part of the Church Fathers in regard to the role of Elijah in the "Conversion of the Jews." But David Palm shows that it is Sungenis who has blundered and behaved impiously.
Defending Pope Benedict XVI from Sungenis's Latest Attack (Forrest)
Bob has again treated Pope Benedict XVI very disrespectfully because Bob remains unable (or unwilling) to read carefully and charitably when Jews are involved.
Rick DeLano Crafts a Conspiracy Theory (01/28/12): A detailed response to Sungenis board member Rick DeLano concerning numerous factual errors and allegations he made concerning why Bishop Rhoades told Sungenis to take the name "Catholic" off of his organization (it had nothing to do with page 131 of the USCCA or the dual covenant error).
- An Open Invitation to Bob Sungenis (09/03/08)
- Robert Sungenis vs. Pope Benedict XVI on the Holocaust (03/13/09)
- Ferrara Repudiates Holocaust views of Bishop Williamson and Sungenis (04/16/09)
- Pope Continues to Repudiate Holocaust Revisionism Promoted by Sungenis (05/28/09)
- Sungenis Comes Full Circle (07/14/09)
Timelines of Events:
- March 2005 - Oct 2006, Events surrounding the publishing of www.sungenisandthejews.com
- May 2007 - Jan 2008, Sungenis and the Bishop
The Unjust Attacks of Bob Sungenis Against His Bishop:
— Sungenis Smears Bishop, Continues to Mislead and Distort the Record (07/06/07)
— Bishop Rhoades Sets The Record Straight (02/21/08)
— By Sungenis Alone (03/29/08):
- Sungenis the Aggressor
- Sorting Through the Facts
- The Basis for Bishop Rhoades' Cease and Desist Order
- Ignoring the Hard Evidence and Hoping Others Will Too
- The Real Reason Sungenis Turned on Bishop Rhoades
- Bishop Rhoades and the Cardinal Keeler/RCM (non)Connection
- Is Bishop Rhoades "Propagating heresy to "unsuspecting Catholics"?
- Are Bishop Rhoades' Primary "allegiances" to Jewish Interests?
- Sungenis’ “Invitation” to “Discuss” Matters with Bishop Rhoades
- Sungenis vs. Sungenis
- The Wily Interviewer?
- Inquisitor Sungenis’ New Complaint and Set of Statements for Bishop Rhoades to Affirm or Deny
- The Wily Bishop Rhoades?
- Direct Evidence of Bad Faith
- Double Standards
- Any Excuse to Attack My Bishop Will Do
- The Selectively Quoted Correspondence from Bishop Rhoades
— Slandering the Bishop, Again (05/13/08)
— Bishop Rhoades and the Dual Covenant Theory (09/24/09)
- The Theology of Prejudice (02/21/08)
- The Theology of ADL Conspiracy Theories? (02/21/08)
- The Pope's "Blunder" or Sungenis' Prejudice? (10/23/08)
- A Response to Robert Sungenis' Critique of our Lay Witness Article (3/1/10)
- Sungenis on Romans 11: Theological Bias in Biblical Exegesis
Has Sungenis Apologized?
- Saying "Peace!" When There Is No Peace (02/21/08)
- Proverbs 26:11 - More Broken Promises, More Attacks (09/02/08)
- Sungenis Comes Full Circle (07/14/09)
- Bill Cork's page demonstrating the plagiarism in Sungenis' original 2002 article "Conversion of the Jews Not Necessary?", with side-by-side comparisons
- Side-by-side comparison showing almost 1500 words plagiarized from white supremacist Mohr in Sungenis' 2002 article
- Sources, Schoeman, and Sungenis (02/17/07; in this and others below, search for "plagiarism" or "plagiarize" in the body of the article)
- Sungenis Comes Full Circle (07/14/09; more side-by-side examples provided)
- Damien Mackey rebuts Sungenis' attempt to pin the blame on him in regard to one case of plagiarism
- Sungenis' Definition Difficulties (04/19/07; Sungenis' attempts to redefine plagiarism.)
- The Theology of ADL Conspiracy Theories (02/21/08; contains yet another example of plagiarism.)
On Fraudulent Quotations:
- Doctoring the Record (11/02/06)
- Just what the Doctor Ordered? (02/17/07)
- Sources, Schoeman, and the Credibility of Bob Sungenis (Part 2, Section 2; 02/17/07)
- Michael Forrest Apologizes and Offers a Correction (03/06/07)
- Refusing to Admit the Obvious: Sungenis' Einstein Quote is Fraudulent (03/23/07)
- Jacob Michael the Prophet? (04/11/07)
- The Ginsberg "Quote" (04/16/07)
- The Perpetually Prolific Robert Sungenis (07/25/07)
- The Origin of the Schoeman Forgery Revealed, Sungenis up to Old Tricks (09/08/07)
- More Slander, Fraudulent Quotes and Double Standards From Sungenis (05/19/08)
- More Misquotes, More Misrepresentations (09/02/08)
- Proverbs 26:11 - More Broken Promises, More Attacks (09/02/08)
On Tainted Sources:
- Bill Cork's page demonstrating the highly problematic sources used in Sungenis' original 2002 "Conversion of the Jews Not Necessary?" article.
- Sungenis and the Jews: Sungenis Sources
- Sources, Schoeman, and Sungenis (02/17/07)
- Sungenis Source Shut Down By Commonwealth of Virginia (04/16/07)
On Sungenis' "Doctorate":
- Sungenis and Co. Evasive on Simple Questions about Catholic Apologetics Study Bible (CASB) and Canon Law (05/29/07)
- More Confusion on Sungenis's Catholic Apologetics Study Bible? (06/23/07)
- Sungenis, the CASB (The Apocalypse of St. John) and the Imprimatur (06/28/07)
- Sungenis Smears Bishop, Continues to Mislead and Distort the Record (07/06/07)
- CASB2's Missing Imprimatur: The Real Reason the Bishop Said "No"? (02/21/08)
- Sungenis' Books Continue to Lack Imprimaturs (05/14/08)
- More Imprimatur and Canonical Difficulties for Sungenis? (01/15/09)
On Conspiracy Theories:
- Sowing Confusion, Distrust and Conspiracy Theories (05/23/09)
- Miscellaneous articles on the blog demonstrating Sungenis' penchant for conspiracies
Other Issues Involving Sungenis' Theology: